Sunday, December 4, 2011

My GF: Exposed


Meet my lovely GF…

          Bamacross #5, better known as the Sandy Chamois (© Brent Marshall), left nothing on my bike untouched by its abrasive caress.  While my shoes and jersey passed through the washer uneventfully, the few components of my minimalist CX setup needed extra care.  It took me nearly two hours to removing the elusive particulate from around my bearing seals, drive train and wheels.  After running a bolt-check on every connection on my bike I discovered that my left Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL pedal had just about disintegrated on its last ride, which explains why my left foot kept coming out.  After two bearing overhauls and a hell of a beating I think it makes sense to put the pedals out of their misery and add them to my museum of “too worn to use, too pretty to throw away” bicycle parts.  Until I find a suitable replacement, I shall ride my Candy C pedals…Thus all in all, the results are a bike that is running like new…and you know what that means, don’t you? Photo shoot!!

          It has been a long time since I’ve had the old Fisher clean enough to photograph on its own, so I decided this week to snap a few shots using my fiancé’s Nikon D80 (not that I know how to use it properly).  While the photos are sub-par, I would like to introduce my bike to those who are unfamiliar with my 1x10 setup and explain why I think it is such a great configuration.



          The heart of my ride is a 2010 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er, which I purchased in March of last year after landing my first job out of college.  To my luck, the bike accidentally was assembled with a Fox F80 RLC Fit instead of the regular RL.  After a year of losing weight and getting back in shape (more on this in a later post), I decided it was time to bring this puppy to par with a previous rigid baby-blue Paragon build I had done in 2008 when I worked at Cahaba Cycles.



          The power train of the Fisher is SRAM’s 10-speed flat-bar friendly road group, with a single ring configuration up front.  The 32T carbon/steel composite ring that is stock on Shimano’s SLX crankset is a fine choice for running 1X setups, and lasts forever while staying light/stiff.  The rest of the gears consist of a SRAM PG1050 11-26.  Chain security is provided via E.13’s XCX BB-mounted world championship-proven chainguide.  This baby has not dropped a chain once…neither on the mountain or CX course.  Now when choosing a rear derailleur I could have gone with a SRAM Force or Red level device, but in terms of weight/cage stiffness/price ratio, the Rival beats all. I needed it to be all-metal as well, as it will see its fare share of mud and the carbon derailleurs don’t last so long in that department.  The group is topped off with SRAM’s least well known component, their 10-speed flatbar double-tap shifter.  With the shifting mechanism that has made their road group so popular, a convenient gear indicator, precision machined lever and a sweet carbon clamp, I cannot see why this part is not on everyone’s Christmas wish list!  The shifter still operates on the 1:1 platform, but the extra long double-tap lever grants enough leverage to make it shift even when the entire drive train is caked in mud (put to the test at School of Hard Nox 40 and various other races).


 

          Why THIS 1X10?  Because it is awesome.  This is the 1X setup SRAM doesn’t want you to popularize, and that no bike company has had the grit to put in its catalogues.  It is lighter than the SRAM XX group, cheaper than Shimano’s bottom-line 10-speed components, and more durable than ANY drive train I have put together in the past.  The minimalist assembly is easy to monitor for corrosion/wear, keeps the handlebars free of clutter, and requires little thought to operate mid-race when the noggin ceases to function.  Now running a 11-26 isn’t for everyone, especially on a 29er, but I find it keeps me from slacking when on the trails…worst case it is a somewhere between a single-speed and a normal drive train…you will only build strength…if you use an 11-36, you’re only cheating yourself.  However, if you need more gears, use the other shift lever, and use an Apex derailleur that goes to 11-34. Still cheaper/lighter than the entry-level MTB 10-spd group.

          For next year I hope to build up an even more race-worthy steed utilizing the same upset of components…maybe even using the new 2012 Red group and perhaps a new frame and wheels…Until then, if you wish to check out my ride an decide for yourself if it is really ‘all that’, just flag me down at the next Bamacross race…I’ll be the one pulling up the rear in the 1-2’s…speaking of, congrats to all the racers today.  JFK never ceases to impress…Zach, heal up my friend…JR & Sam, welcome to the big leagues!  Beer fairy, you are a goddess serving ambrosia in a solo cup.



“Stay muddy my Bici’s


1 comment: